One of my favourite meals to whip up when I am hungry and don’t have a plan. Takes 20 – 30 minutes to get some delicious food in your plate.
I love it because uses seasonal vegetables and whatever you have in the panty, and it incorporates flavours of sweet, sour, salty, pungent astringent and bitter according to Ayurveda healthy eating.
My cooking style is not precise but is a pinch of this and a handful of that so make it your own!
Rice – I like to use brown basmati.
warm oil (olive Ghee Coconut or a mix thereof)
Add spices when the oil is hot
pinch of cardamon & ginger
Stir the spices in the oil until they are fragrant, then add the rice and stir it all around to coat it. Add water or broth
Cook according to the rice variety directions I use 1:1 3/4 ratio for 20 min.
while rice cooks mince a handful of parsley, and squeeze a bit of lemon juice to add to the rice pot at the end of the cooking cycle.
Prepare whatever other items will surround your rice.
Use what is seasonal and in your garden or fridge to create flavour explosions in every bite.
- I like avocado with a squeeze of lime (cilantro if you like it and have it)
- some type of legume – I used black lentils in this photo, but I have also used french lentils, black beans red lentils, tempeh or jackfruit etc. I cook mine with a curry blend and coconut milk.
- You can also add fish or some other meat if that is in your diet choices
- Pic a few veg to compliment. Here are some of my favourites
- beets & carrots barbecued, roasted or sautéed till brown and sticky
- winter squash or pumpkin (with a pinch of curry) roasted or sautéed
- cauliflower, brussel sprouts, red cabbage, broccoli zucchini are also some of my favourites when in season
- you could also do greens, cucumber, kale etc in summer too.